Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cleaning, decluttering and redecorating

I have been busy for the past few weeks. I decided to clean out all of the cabinets and closets and get rid of "stuff". It really is a good feeling to be lightening up and decluttering! I have been taking things to consignment, and have taken things to work to sell as well.  I am planning to have a big yard sale Memorial weekend. Hopefully we will have finished sorting through the shed.

I have decided to sew today (instead of sorting through the shed). I have had it on my mind to make some slip covers for the dining room chairs to make them less formal. I used  a muslin type material and added pleating at the bottom. I think they turned out better than I had hoped.


Details of pleating at the bottom of the slip...

I also redressed the table for the summer. The old bowl was found in the attic and the candlestands I repainted and aged. I used burlap for the runner.



I also used the same painting and aging technique on my favorite lamp!


I made some new pillow covers today as well.


Not your typical "country prints", but the toile and the vintage print both have a bit of red and being in them.

I took down the dark colored curtains and switched out the comforter in the bedroom. It is lighter and brighter now.


I added the slop jars and lids above the jelly cabinet...



 The thing is I like too many things, old ironstone, white McCoy, and those items that remind me of my grandparents.

Things have done surprisingly well at the consignment. As you recall I now have a spot in an antiques consignment downtown selling my Americana, primitive and country decor.  My husband is planning to  retire in 3 years and he said he wants to plan to open our own business. Wow, that's a little scary, but by then everything will fall into place.

I hope you all have a blessed week. Thanks again for visiting!

Becki

1 comment: